This Policy does not apply to the extent that you become a client of our firm. Separate arrangements will apply in those circumstances.
- Content means all text, graphics, images, video, sound and other data displayed on, or made available from, the website. It includes, without limitation, any Blog Post published on the website.
- Personal information means information that identifies you or could be used to identify you.
- We, us and our and similar words refer to Epiphany Law Pty Ltd trading as Epiphany Law.
- Website refers to the website located at the domain epiphany.law or epiphanylaw.com.au.
3. Questions about this policy
- Phone: (03) 8838 0317 (between 9 am and 5 pm AEST Monday to Friday, excluding public holidays).
- Mail: The Privacy Officer, Epiphany Law, c/o Level 13, 200 Queen Street, Melbourne VIC 3000.
- Web: Please see our Contact page.
4. Activities which involve providing different types of personal information
In the course of our interaction with you, we may collect personal information that relates to you. This information could be collected in relation to any of the following activities:
You will need to provide personal information to us if you choose to submit a question or request to us via email or using our ‘contact us’ form. The information that you will need to provide will include a name, and one or more means to contact you (whether by telephone, email address, instant messaging, or Skype or other media).
You will need to provide personal information to us if you choose to receive updates and information periodically. This personal information will include a name and an email address, or a username for a particular social networking service (e.g. Twitter, FaceBook, Linked In etc).
You will need to provide personal information to us if you choose to make a comment in relation to any content. This personal information will include your name, contact details – including email address – and (if they can be used to identify you) the views which you choose to express. Additionally, you may choose to submit personal information in the form of a small photograph, Avatar or Gravatar.
e. Accessing Restricted/Members Only Content
Some information we provide is only available to those who provide certain personal information (usually a name and email address and sometimes a phone number), other information is only available to those who register as members of the website.
f. Entering competitions
We may, from time to time run competitions (trade promotion lotteries) periodically with the aim of promoting ourselves. The information that you will be asked to provide is detailed in the terms and conditions of each competition that we run.
g. Registering to Purchase
You will need to provide personal information to us if you decide to make a purchase from the website. When registering, some of the information that you will be asked to provide will include your name, billing address, phone number and email address. Finally, our software records your computer’s unique Internet Protocol (IP).
h. Submitting Payments
When purchasing an item from the website, you may also provide sensitive and confidential payment information. This payment information may take the form of credit card details, PayPal details or bank account details. We also record your computer’s unique Internet Protocol (IP) address when you make the payments.
i. Other Activities
We may use information for purposes not listed above in the following circumstances:
- where specifically authorised by you;
- where the use is related to one of the primary purposes listed above and where it could reasonably be expected;
- where it is necessary for us to comply with the law or the lawful direction of a governmental authority or court; or
- where it is in the interests of public health and safety.
5. Your right to deal withhold your details
Many of the activities which involve disclosure of your personal information to us does not require you to provide us with your name. In other words, you can deal with us anonymously. Where you are required to submit a name to us, you may use a pseudonym unless it is impracticable for us to deal with you on this basis. It is impracticable for us to deal with you if you identify yourself using a pseudonym if you are seeking to:
- enter a competition;
- register to make a purchase; or
- make a payment to us.
6. How we will not use the personal information that you provide
Except as set out in Clauses 6 and 7 below, we will not disclose your personal information. In particular, we will not give, lend, rent or sell your personal information to any third party telemarketing, market research organisation or email list building organisation that is likely to on-sell it to other people or organisations.
7. How we will use the personal information that you provide
We may use your personal information for the following purposes:
a. Answering Queries
If you have contacted us with a query or request, we will use your personal information to respond to that query or request.
b. Providing Information
If you subscribe to receiving information from us in the form of a newsletter or emailed updates, or a feed via a social networking service, we will use your contact information to send that information to you from time to time. The information may take the form of general communications which simply allow us to ‘keep in touch’ with you, or may be direct marketing material which contains special promotions and special offers.
c. Displaying Comments
If you submit a comment, we have the right to display that comment on the website, along with your name, although we will not publish your email address;
d. Delivering Restricted Access/Members Only Content
If you register to receive restricted access or member only content, we will use your personal information to deliver that content to you. We may also choose to contact you and to offer or discuss the provision of relevant services by us to you.
e. Competition Administration
If you win a prize in one of our competitions, we will use your personal information to notify you, and will publish your name as the winner if required to do so by law.
f. Usage Analysis
We use your information to generate a holistic but anonymous picture of our user base and usage patterns. This information will allow us to analyse trends and demographics and to help us to improve on the content and services provided.
g. Payment Administration
We require you to provide certain information in order to make payments through the website. This information can include your name, email address, credit card or PayPal details, and a physical address.
h. Fraud Prevention
Online merchants such as us occasionally suffer from the fraudulent activities of some shoppers. We have the right to use the personal information that you provide or that we collect to verify your identity. For example, we could compare names on accounts with information on credit cards, or with publicly available information such as White Pages™ data. These checks are done carefully by a member of our Customer Experience Team, and using manual rather than automated methods. The checks will usually be done only if there is a reason to suspect fraud.
i. Sale of a Going Concern
We may also disclose your personal information where required or necessary under the provisions of the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (e.g. if it is necessary to prevent a serious threat to public safety etc).
8. Disclosing your information
During the course of our business, we may disclose your personal information as follows:
- Service Providers: Third party companies and individuals (including Google and Paypal) are engaged from time to time to perform specific business services for us. These services include the processing of payments, trend analysis, marketing and promotions, the hosting of this website and the transmission of messages over the Internet. We may need to provide some of your details to these services providers, or allow them to access your details, in order for them to perform their functions. We will only do so where it is strictly necessary for them to perform these functions.
- Authorities: We will pass on information relating to suspected fraudulent activity to appropriate authorities including the police, banks and credit card issuers, or if required to do so by law.
- General Public: If you win a prize in one of our competitions, we will disclose some of your personal information in certain publications in order to comply with our obligations under applicable trade lotteries legislation. Precise details of the disclosures to be made appear in the terms and conditions of each competition, and entry into each of our competitions requires your consent to such disclosures.
9. Cross-border disclosures
The storage of your personal information, and the disclosures listed in Clause 7 above, may involve transmitting, storing or processing information across national borders. This includes our right to host the website on servers located overseas, our right to conduct usage analysis and to process payments. You consent to the transmission of data for these purposes.
Some of the service providers that we engage utilise global Content Delivery Networks to store and serve data. These are networks comprised of computer servers located around the World, including servers located in Australia and the United States.
In addition, personal information that you submit in the form of, or relating to, Comments will be published on the Internet and will be accessible in any location around the World in which there is Internet access.
10. Your rights in relation to your personal information
Subject to the exceptions allowed by law, you have a right to view, change and remove the personal information that we store about you. You can exercise these rights by making a written request to us.
Requests for us to assist you to view, change or remove your personal information, should be made in writing by post or the web using the contact details provided above. You should provide us with any details necessary to enable us to comply with your request, including your name and the capacity in which you believe we are storing your personal information (i.e. as a customer, newsletter subscriber etc).
If you ask us to attend to your request, we have the right to request a small fee before we can assist you. Before we act on requests of this nature, we will tell you how much this service will cost. We will respond to your request within 10 business days.
11. Changing your communication preferences
We do not disseminate spam, as we only send information to people who have requested it. If you have requested information from us in the past, but have now changed your mind, please either:
- click on the ‘unsubscribe’ link in any one of our communications (if available); or
- reply to any of our email messages using the word ‘unsubscribe’ in the heading; or
- contact us by visiting our Contact page.
There is no charge associated with being removed from our mailing or communications list.
12. Information security
We will take reasonable technical and organisational precautions to prevent the loss, misuse or alteration of your personal information, and to prevent unauthorised access, modification or disclosure of your personal information. Payment information is processed by secure servers hosted by PayPal, and not on this website.
13. Other privacy information
If you are a registered member of the website, please sign out once you have finished using the website and close your browser (e.g. Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox or Apple Safari). This ensures that no one else can access your personal information after you.
You are responsible for the security of, and access to, your computer. There are particular risks when you use your computer for online shopping in a public place (such as an Internet cafe).
You are responsible for maintaining the secrecy of your username, password and any account information.
Further Privacy information can be obtained on the website of the Australian Privacy Commissioner, which can be found at: https://www.oaic.gov.au/.